Connect with us


Floyd Patterson – The Gentleman of Boxing



Floyd Patterson – The Gentleman of Boxing

Floyd Patterson (55-8, 40 KOs) was born in Wasco, North Carolina on January 4, 1935. He was a light heavyweight cruiser who competed in the heavyweight division and won the world title twice.

The former Olympic middleweight king, who won the crown at the Helsinki Olympics in 1952, became the youngest professional to reach the highest rung of the ladder. He is a smart, fast heavyweight with a punchy punch, even if he lacks the punches that Louis, Marciano and Dempsey could deliver.

Floyd Patterson has experienced ups and downs in his career, winning a knockout decision over US Marine Mike Zecca at the Eastern Golden Gloves tournament. The next night, he lay on his back after Buffalo’s Charley Williams fell asleep in the quarterfinals.

He started his profession after returning from his successful trip to Helsinki. His main games for Archie Moore’s win were against Joey Maxim, where he won by an unpopular decision, his only defeat to Floyd Patterson; are knockouts of Jimmy Slade and Wille Troy; and his twelve-round win over Jackson.

Floyd Patterson, who became the youngest world heavyweight champion on August 30, 1956, at the age of 21, 10 months and 26 days, ascended the throne left by Marciano by eliminating Archie Moore.


In his fight with Moore, the panther-like son of a Brooklyn-based toilet truck driver defeated his opponent at 2:27 of the fifth round for a roaring rally at Chicago Stadium.

Tribute to the great Marvin Hagler (1954-2021)

Floyd Patterson collected the official scorecards against a wildly lost Moore when he crashed home with a powerful left hook to the jaw. The blow had a delayed effect on the old warrior. He took a step forward, then turned and fell face down. Moore barely beat referee Frank Sikora’s count.

When Moore faltered, Patterson finished him off with another powerful left, sending him sinking into the groin. Moore started to get up, and just as he got up, Sikora had completed the count.

Entry was 14,000 and the box office was just $228,145, a far cry from Joe Louis’ games.

In that race, Floyd Patterson achieved what was expected. The 14,458 people who paid $156,936 to attend an event where the defending champion was never in danger. Referee Ruby Goldstein held him back one minute and 52 seconds into the tenth round after a crushing left and right jaw left Jackson at the mercy of his opponent. Many were against the referee’s actions, but he was right.


Jackson was knocked out in the first round when the bell rang; he dropped two more, even though the knockdown timer counted to six; and grounded out again in the ninth for a count of four,

It was the first independently promoted heavyweight title fight in many years, with Emil Lence, a New York tailor, hosting instead of the International Boxing Club. Jackson received $62,929 for the 81 registrations he took. And the champion, after agreeing to $62,929.-50,000 of his guarantee to save Lence from weightlifting in the promotion, received $123,859.62.

LSO READ: Prime 4 Prime: Canelo vs Mayweather – Who Will Win?

The ruthless Evander Holyfield, known as The Real Deal

Jackson started off well, but as the fight progressed, he was unable to defend himself. It sucks an incredible impact on the body and a man on the chin. Although he had fallen three times, he still showed courage by trying to walk the road.

Three days after the game, Floyd Patterson resumed training, this time facing amateur world champion Peter Rademacher, his professional debut Olympic champion. This was an unheard of procedure. Boxing committees around the world asked both Washington Governor Rosselin and his committee to block the match, but the petition was rejected.

The match took place on August 22, 1957 in Seattle and the amateur title holder was eliminated, referee Tommy Loughran counted the lousy decimal.


The time of the sixth round was two minutes and 57 seconds, Rademacher had been sent to the canvas seven times.

The Olympic champion surprised not only by staying in action long after pre-match predictions that he would be lucky to survive two sets, but also by winning the opening round and defeating Patterson by count four in the second frame. Loss. After that, however, he was never a candidate again.

Rademacher was behind nine times in the third round, four times out of nine in the fifth and once before the finish in the sixth round. Four-time umpire Loughran faltered for nine when he could have counted Peter.

The historic bout, which marked the first time an amateur fought a professional heavyweight champion for the crown, drew a record 16,961 Northwest Gates, $243,030 and a net worth of £209,556. Rademacher-backed Youth Unlimited lost nearly $120,000 due to the promotion.

Floyd Patterson won his second championship in Los Angeles on August 18, 1958 against Roy Harris of Cut and Shoot, Texas.


In the second round, he beat the Texan to submission. Referee Mushy Callaghan stopped the fight when Harris’ trainer Bill Gore told him that Roy didn’t get out until the 12th.

The stake was 21,680 and the gate was $234,183. Another 196,762 fans paid $763,437 to watch the game on closed circuit television. Despite the game, Harris was outmatched.

On the rainy evening of June 26, 1959, 18,215 fans at Yankee Stadium in New York saw Ingemar Johansson, a 196-pound underdog from Gothenburg, Sweden, 4-1, defeat 182-pound Floyd Patterson by knockout. Referee Ruby Goldstein stopped the fight at 2:03 of the third round.

After two small actions, Johansson unleashed a stunning right, the much-vaunted “Thor’s Hammer,” that sent Floyd Patterson reeling and laying flat on his back.

Patterson went down six more times. When he faltered after the seventh takedown, Goldstein stopped the fight. Seven drops in one round. Johansson had held the heavyweight championship record in 1923 against Jack Dempsey and Luis Firpo.


YouTube video

Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte preview and prediction

Remembering Joe Frazier – The Explosive Smokin’ Joe

In terms of the straight gate, the fight was a financial failure for promoter William Rosensohn, but it brought in over $1 million in closed broadcasts. It was the dawn of an era when money had to be made, not from live audiences, but from television.

When Floyd Patterson fought Ingamar Johansson for the second time at the Polo Grounds in New York on June 22, 1960, Johansson faced another fighter. A man who wasn’t looking for revenge, but personal redemption from humiliation, suffered when he lost the title.

A bigger, stronger and redesigned Patterson defeated Johansson at 1:51 of the fifth round. From the start, 190-pound Floyd Patterson was the aggressor, knocking the reigning 194-pound champion off balance with left jabs and two-handed volleys. By the fourth round, Johansson was off balance, her legs apart, but she continued to work her way out of trouble.

Forty-nine seconds into the fifth round, Patterson landed a blazing left hook to the jaw that sent Johansson to the ground for nine, back to his feet, Johansson tried to continue. But a barrage of lefts and rights and a final left hook caught Johansson in the jaw and knocked him out.


A crowd of 31,892, paying $824,814, and a closed-circuit television audience of 500,000, paying $2 million, vindicated Floyd Patterson’s claim to the heavyweight crown. Patterson accomplished what other heavyweight champions had tried and failed to do.

The Ring Boxing Encyclopaedia lists failed attempts by James J. Corbett, Bob Fitzsimmons, James J. Jeffries, Jack Dempsey, Max Schmeling, Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Ingemar Johansson, and Sonny Liston.

The third Patterson-Johansson match took place in Miami Beach on March 13, 1961. Patterson and Johansson were the heaviest of their careers at 194¾lbs and 206½lbs.

Floyd Patterson retained his title by knocking out Johansson at 2:25 of the sixth round with a sharp left and then a reverse heel that hit Johansson high in the side of the head. Johansson rose to her feet and then lunged forward. He stood for a split second as referee Bill Regan reached ten. Replays confirmed the referee’s decision.

Continue Reading